Thursday, December 31, 2020

Well done, BSC!

by Lina Bickel, CalSAWS Project Manager

Dear Staff,

What a scary and bumpy ride this year has been! I don’t know about you, but I welcomed 2020 with much hope and optimism, but as we go about our business on this last day of 2020, I for one am ready to take the leap into whatever 2021 brings our way. As I have reflected on all that we’ve been through this year, I recognize that some good things came out of the disaster of 2020.  Families and individuals were forced to slow down and simply be together. We had no choice but to embrace technology and virtual ways to get things done and that forced some of us to learn new things. Some of us found new hobbies. Probably most of us watched way too much Netflix. But there have been profound losses too. We don’t know yet what normal will look like. For every one of you who suffered a loss, please accept my deepest condolences. 

I want you each to know that despite what this year has meant for you, no matter what you have learned or lost, what you did here at the BSC by showing up is nothing short of remarkable. You showed up and served our community, even at your own risk. You did your best to abide by safety protocols and direction that changed so frequently it was hard to keep up. You covered for each other when some of you got sick or had children who could not attend school. When I think of how you all showed up this year, I am deeply touched and hold you all in suchgreat esteem. You are the best team ever!

In case you need numbers to convince you of all you accomplished this year, take a look at this:

  • In 2020, BSC received 132,365 calls and you answered 106,027 (80%!) of those calls (EW and AOP together)
  • In 2020, you completed a total of 83,540 tasks which included priority work (so imagine how many tasks AOP staff assigned!
    • 15,121 MC RRR tasks
    •  12,216 CF RRR tasks
    •  15,315 Periodic Report tasks
As we finish this year, know that you did your best despite astoundingly difficult circumstances. You honorably served the community and you supported your coworkers to the best of your ability. Get ready to leap into 2021 too. You can handle it! Stay safe this weekend, make good decisions. You have my utmost respect.