by Jasmine Gaytan
Yesterday at the gym, I started talking with a single mother. When we got to talking about where we work, she mentioned that a few years back she had to apply for CalWORKs. This was one of her lowest times in her life due to a divorce, and she felt fearful and hesitant about coming in to apply for assistance. Then she met her worker, Kasha Pope. She said Kasha not only treated her with respect and dignity, but also encouraged her to keep going in school, and said that after all these years she still feels Kasha's encouragement in her life: “You got this, just keep moving forward!”
Kasha, I just wanted to let you know that you make a difference in this world. Thank you for making me proud of where I work and what I do. By the way, that CalWORKs mom is now a pre-school teacher. Have a great day.